On day one of #CIFSafety21 ‘Drive Safe’ this bank holiday (and everyday) for Construction Safety week, our focus is on tyre safety.
The safety of you, along with the safety of your passengers and other road users, could depend directly on the condition of your vehicle’s tyres.
There are several tell-tale signs you should keep an eye out for:
• Cracking or crazing of the side wall of the tyre, caused by its flexing.
• Distortion of the tyre tread.
• Deformation of the main body of the tyre.
It is important to check your tyres regularly for:
• A minimum tread depth of 1.6mm on the tyre, anything less is illegal.
• The condition of tyres can be checked by visual inspection.
• Tyre pressure should be checked at your local service station regularly.
Check out the RSA Tyre Safety Information Guide and Highways England Vehicle Safety Guide.